Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mini Pumpkin Pies {From My Kitchen}

We are studying pumpkins in homeschool, so you know that means cooking up some pumpkins in the kitchen, LOL:)

I wanted to make a healthier version of this recipe and so I experimented with a few different recipes and added in my own twists. 

So, here is what I came up with. 
Mini pumpkin pies with homemade whipped topping.
I knew that they wouldn't look nearly as cute as the original, but they are a lot healthier and they taste ah-mazing!!

I started out making this whole grain pie crust. They are more brown than traditional crust, but they are full of flavor, crunch and really were good for being "healthier." 
{much better than the store bought pie crusts}
 I ground up the oatmeal and then tossed in the rest of the ingredients for the pie crust in my food processor.

The trick for rolling out this type of dough---use parchment paper sprayed with canola oil or waxed paper would work, too.
The girls had fun cutting out the pumpkin shapes and playing with the leftover dough!

Then, I used the recipe on the can of organic pumpkin I had.I reduced the sugar because I knew I would lop some whipped cream on top of the pies:)


Filled the crusts to the top in the muffin tins and baked for 15 minutes on 425 and then for about 20 more minutes on 350.  Let them cool.


While the mini pumpkin pies were baking, the big girls decided to "look outside at the rain." {They had a very busy school day today}.

 Awwwwww, I love these kids:) {Yes, our 5 yr old still naps daily-she NEEDS them!} Our family motto is "you are never too old for a nap!" LOL.

Well, if you love cool whip, you will ADORE this next simple recipe!!
Homemade Whipped Cream
 Seriously, never buy cool whip again---it is so easy and so much better!
All you need is heavy whipping cream, vanilla and confectioners' sugar. That's it!

{In the picture, you may notice the bowl is fogging up. It is best to cool your bowl and whisk in the fridge for 15 minutes prior to making the whipping topping.}

Pour 1 cup of cream into the cold bowl. Whisk until peaks almost form. It should be thick and creamy, but not "light and fluffy" yet. 

 
 This is when I add in 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 2 tablespoons of confectioners' sugar.
 Continue to whisk until peaks form and put into the fridge to set up.
 Since the big girls were taking a nap, the baby got to be my taste tester, lol.
 She approved:)
 
 Hubby and the girls LOVED the pies! They are so good!
We will probably make another batch around Thanksgiving and hand them out to neighbors and friends/family. 

What fall flavors do you have coming out of your kitchen? What are some favorite recipes you can share with us?

Blessings,
Aria:)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...